- You might have a friend who is deaf or hard of hearing. Especially if you are a teenager! Smosh is very popular with hearing kids aged 13 to 17.
- Even if you don't have any friends who are deaf or hard of hearing, there are probably deaf or hard of hearing kids in your school or college.
- Make it possible for deaf and hard of hearing teens to chat about Smosh on social media. There's a lot of talk about Smosh on facebook, twitter, instagram, and tumblr!
- You don't like Smosh but you are a fan of Pewdiepie or another top YouTube channel? Smosh is just one of many top YouTubers that are not captioning! We had to start somewhere.
- Maybe you have a friend who is learning English as a second language. Captions can help him or her.
- Captions help you too even though you can hear! If you are in bed and feel like watching a video, you can watch it without sound and not worry about waking anyone up.
- Don't feel like paying attention in class? Captions let you watch videos secretly. (We don't advise this)
- Falling asleep or it doesn't interest you in Mass or during a sermon? Captions let you watch videos letting you get through it. (We don't advise this)
- Eating in a noisy cafeteria? Captions let you enjoy video while you are eating.
- Got a little brother or sister? Captions will help your little brother or sister learn to read!
- Have trouble understanding a speaker on video (accent, background noise)? Captions can help you understand.
- In a library where you have to be quiet? Captioning lets you watch a video quietly.
- Trying not to wake the house watching a video? Captioning lets you watch the video quietly, unless you start laughing too much.
- Surprise, surprise. Most people who use captioning are NOT deaf or hard of hearing! Eighty percent are hearing, according to a British study.
- If you don't want your parents to know that you are watching Smosh, captions let you hide it. (Mom and/or dad might not approve of the humor or language in Smosh).
- As people get older, it is common to lose hearing. Captioning helps people who are getting older be able to watch. (Captions may help your grandma or grandpa.)
- Closed captioning is not that hard to do, nor is it that expensive. It is the right thing to do!
Friday, December 26, 2014
I'm Hearing. Why Should I Sign the Caption Smosh Petition?
You are a teenager and you can hear and you are wondering why you should sign a petition asking for closed captions on Smosh, a show you might not even like yourself? The reasons why you should sign are many! Here are seventeen reasons.
Posted by Jamie at 9:27 PM